INTRODUCING THERATEARS® EXTRA DRY EYE THERAPY
Lubricant Eye Drops
HARNESS EXTRA POWER FROM A NATURAL WONDER
NEW TheraTears® EXTRA dry eye therapy’s extra moisturizing formula is enhanced with trehalose to:
✓ Protect from further irritation
✓ Support the homeostasis of tear film
Trehalose is a natural disaccharide with enhanced moisture retention capabilities.1
How does trehalose work?
- Maintains cell membrane and protein integrity during drying and rehydration
- Protects cell membranes and proteins from denaturation and disruption in the absence of water
How is trehalose used?
- To enhance the effectiveness of active ingredients
- In the U.S. as an excipient in at least four injectable pharmaceuticals2
- As a protectant for in vitro fertilization, plasma transfusions, cosmetics and processed foods
In ophthalmic products, trehalose enhances active ingredients to help1:
- Protect corneal cells from desiccation
- Restore osmotic balance to the ocular surface
- Maintain the homeostasis of corneal cells
THERATEARS® DRY EYE THERAPY
RESTORES EYES NATURAL BALANCE®
Regardless of the cause of Dry Eye Disease, whether from aqueous deficiency or tear evaporation, the result is the same: increased tear film osmolarity, or hyperosmolarity.
As defined in the 2017 DEWS II Report, dry eye is a multifactorial disease of the ocular surface characterized by a loss of homeostasis of the tear film, and accompanied by ocular symptoms, in which tear film instability and hyperosmolarity, ocular surface inflammation and damage, and neurosensory abnormalities play etiological roles.1
- Homeostasis is the tendency toward a relatively stable equilibrium between interdependent elements, especially as maintained by physiological processes
- Elevated tear osmolarity (or hyperosmolarity) is the increased salt concentration in the tears
- Increased tear film osmolarity causes dry eye irritation and ocular surface inflammation
TheraTears® Dry Eye Therapy’s hypotonic and electrolyte balanced formula has been shown to reduce osmolarity over time.
OSMOLARITY OVER TIME3
THERATEARS® IS THE MOST
HYPOTONIC LEADING BRAND4
TheraTears® SteriLid® removes oil, debris and other irritants that can accumulate on eyelids and eyelashes.
- Gentle and effective skin-on-skin application
- Keeping lids and lashes free from irritants is important for maintaining healthy lids and lashes as part of ocular wellness therapy
TheraTears® Eye Nutrition is a con-centrated form of Omega-3 designed to support healthy lacrimal and meibomian glands for healthy tears.*
750 mg of omega-3 (450 mg EPA + 300 mg DHA) from fish oil:
- Pharmaceutical grade
- PCB and Mercury free
- Molecularly distilled
- Triglyceride (TG) formulation
450 mg of omega-3 (450 mg ALA) from flaxseed oil:
- Organically grown
- Cold pressed
183 IU of Vitamin E:
- Protects the high quality omega-3 from oxidation
- Helps support healthy omega-3 metabolism
FEATURED CLINICAL STUDY
Clinical Study Finds TheraTears® System Relieves Dry Eye Signs and Symptoms6
Key Statistically Significant Results:
The combined therapy of TheraTears® Dry Eye Therapy Lubricant Eye Drops, TheraTears® SteriLid® Eyelid Cleanser, and TheraTears® Eye Nutrition improved both symptoms and a variety of signs in subjects with moderate to severe dry eye.
- Jones L, Downie L, Korb D, et al. TFOS Dews ll Management and Therapy Report. The Ocular Surface Jul 2017; 575-628.
- Luyckx J, et al. Trehalose: An Intriguing Disaccharide with Potential for Medical Application in Ophthalmology. Clin Ophthalmol. 2011;5:577-581.
- Modified from Gilbard JP, Rossi SR Ophthalmol, Apr 1992, 99(4): 600-4.
- Data on file Akorn Consumer Health
- Wojtowicz JC, Butovich I, Uchiyama E, Aronowicz J, Agee S, McCulley JP. Pilot, prospective, randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled clinical trial of an omega-3 supplement for dry eye. Cornea 2011. Mar;30(3): 308-314.
- Ngo W, Srinivasan S, Houtman D, Jones L. The relief of dry eye signs and symptoms using a combination of lubricants, lid hygiene and ocular nutraceuticals. J Optom. 2017 Jan-Mar;10(1):26-33.